Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Life in 10 Years

The question, what do you want your life to be like in ten years, is very difficult for me, and I think for many twenty year old college students to answer. My interests are still changing, and I am still finding out who exactly I am as a person. I will base my ideal life in ten years off of what I know about myself right now.
In ten years, I will be thirty, which to me is kind of the turning point from being a young adult to a more settled-down individual. I want to live my twenties having fun, meeting new people, and being as care-free and frivolous as possible, to be honest. I hope to keep in contact with both my friends from adolescence and from college, and even see some on a semi-regular basis. By thirty, however, I would like to be settling down, hopefully married, and possibly have one child. This is not to say that I am rushing and putting a timer on getting married, this is just something I hope will happen.
I would like to be starting my family in Washington, DC. I was born in DC, but grew up in a suburb. Nevertheless, I know the city very well and love it for all that it is: historical, social, fantastic restaurants, great shopping, interesting people, endless things to do, etc. It also has many great job opportunities for marketing majors. My desire to live somewhere so close to home (I grew up 45 minutes outside of DC) does not derive from any sort of familiarity or ignorance of the rest of the world. I am very well-traveled, having visited most major cities within and also many outside the U.S. I love traveling and experiencing new cultures, but I know that DC or close outside of DC is the place I would like to call home.
Currently, one of my interests is nutrition and health, and I have always been interested in sports. Combining this with my background in marketing, my dream job would be to work for a fitness company, sports apparel brand, or professional sports team, such as the Washington Redskins. I would like to be part of a marketing or advertising team that is finding new, creative ways to market the company’s products and services. My ultimate career aspiration is to be CEO of a company such as these, but I just hope that by thirty I am moving in that direction and upward in the company. Another interest I have is fashion, so I think I would also enjoy doing the same thing for a clothing brand, but instead finding ways to market their new designs. While maintaining my job, I hope to be working towards receiving a masters in marketing, advertising, or nutrition and health. I also hope that between an occupation, school, and a new marriage, I will still have time for friends, having more children, and creating a home. Easier said than done, I know.
I have a strong relationship with my family right now, and I just hope that we do not lose that closeness as my siblings and I start our own families and careers. I hope that my siblings live close to me, and that my parents remain in Warrenton so that it is easy for them to come visit me, and vice versa. Since I was an infant I have traveled all over the world with my family and that is what sparked my interest in travel. I hope that, not only will my husband and I have the financial security to travel to foreign places, but also that we can go on these vacations with my family.
I realize one’s plans change as he or she changes, and that they don’t always pan out as one might have thought, but I hope that I do, and I feel that I am a very ambitious person that is relentless in striving for her goals. Ultimately, in ten years, I just want to have a happy, successful, healthy, exciting life, shared with the people I love.

No comments: