Sunday, March 9, 2008

Lying on Your Resume

I found this article about lying on a resume to be very interesting. My mom helped me a lot in high school with my resume, and, although I never even thought about doing it in the first place, she was always repeating never to fabricate things on a resume.
The story about Mary, a woman who lied about having a master’s degree, was unbelievable. I knew that people tweaked made up small things here and there on their resumes, but I had no idea that individuals would make up such great lies such as having a master’s degree. Besides the ethical part of the issue, I would never lie on a resume because I am a very bad liar, and if asked about the job or credential I had fabricated, it would be obvious I didn’t know what I was talking about.
I also thought it was interesting how Isaacs noted that the more high up and prestigious the position, the more likely a person is to lie. I think this is very revealing of the corporate world today. It seems that a person have an impeccable, shining record to hold high up positions in companies. In addition, from what I hear, it is becoming more and more difficult to find jobs. This definitely increases the incentive to lie on a resume.
I am glad more and more companies are becoming more thorough in doing background checks pre and post hire, because, as I will soon be searching for jobs, it levels the playing field for everyone and makes it more difficult for people to embellish about their professional and extracurricular selves. I would be furious if I learned that someone beat me out of a job because he or she made up something on their resume.

No comments: