Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring Break Interviews

This past week during spring break, I went on three interviews. It was interesting to see the different ways each company or organization conducted their interviews. The first was for a financial consulting firm called Primerica. They are located in Northern Virginia and advise families and individuals on how to manage their finances so that they can retire. This interview was very formal, they taught me about the company, and actually offered me a position at the end. At first I told him that I was interested, but a few days later I sent Primerica an email respectfully declining the offer because it is not what I want to do. Next, I went on an interview at a medium-sized PR and marketing firm called Allison and Partners. They are located in Washington, DC, and I really enjoyed this interview. It was really laid-back, and Sonia, the VP of the DC office, was very nice and she seemed like she genuinely wanted to get to know me. I believe this is reflective of the PR and marketing sector of business, because I think that people skills and personality are very important. I think it went well and I would love to get an internship there because I think the people there would be fun to work with and it seems very close to what I want to do eventually. I would also love to work in DC. They did not offer me a position on the spot, but they spoke as if I would have some kind of position at the firm, because they asked me about travel, my schedule, and told me they would let me know about pay soon. The third interview I went on was Media Research Center, which is an organization in Alexandria, VA, whose goal is to balance the news media, so that it is not so liberally biased. The organization itself is not directly related to my intended field, but I interviewed for a marketing internship position where I would be in charge of researching and reaching the target market of a new website they have created, which will be similar to facebook. I would also be responsible for advertising this website. I enjoyed this interview as well and it definitely seems like it would be interesting, and I would be treated like a regular employee and have my own responsibilities. The woman who interviewed me, Lee Taylor, seemed to like me since we have similar educational backgrounds. She has her MBA in marketing and an undergraduate degree in French. They told me it seemed like I would be a good fit for the position, and that they would contact me in a couple weeks. I am definitely more comfortable now in interview situations even after just those three. I realize the importance of an interview in selling yourself and that it is a vital tool in showing what you have to offer that other people do not.

No comments: